There are several things to consider when planning a kitchen remodel. From the floors to the ceilings, and everything in between, there are things a homeowner must consider before tackling such a big project. Here are five things to think about before you start your kitchen remodel.
- Flooring. There are umpteen options these days, so how do you know which kind of flooring is best for your home? Some folks want the beauty of hardwoods; others want the sleek style and durability of concrete; and still others want the ease of taking care of tile. The best kitchen flooring for your home depends on your needs, your style, and your budget. A trusted contractor can help you determine what type of flooring will best suite your home.
- To island or not to island? Kitchen islands have become very popular. Not only are they a great place to prepare a meal or gather with friends (think bar seating), but today, many kitchen islands are also used to store kitchen appliances such as dishwashers, stoves, and even kitchen sinks. Consider whether an island will fit in your space and within your budget as you prepare your kitchen remodel.
- Appliances. And speaking of building appliances into an island, appliances are a place in your budget where you can choose to splurge or save. Be sure to discuss your options with a professional so that you get the best appliances for your money.
- The beauty of a backsplash. Similar to the growth in popularity of the kitchen island, backsplashes have become increasingly more popular in kitchen remodels. Backsplashes are both functional and aesthetically pleasing. Subway tiles and glass tiles are two fashionable choices these days, but variation in homeowners’ unique design skills mean the versatility of these materials are endless.
- All the way to the ceiling. We started with the floor, so we’ll end with the ceiling—that is, the light fixtures in the ceiling. Here is another feature of the kitchen remodel where homeowners can splurge or save. You could go for simple flushmount or recessed lighting, use more stylish track lighting and under cabinet lighting, or go all out with some dramatic pendant lighting.
As you can see, there are a lot of decisions to be made in a kitchen remodeling project. Not sure where to start? We would be happy to help you with your renovation project. Take a look at some of our kitchen remodels below and let us know what you think!